Contact Us

Derry Church School

Derry Church School

*** 2003 Preservation Award Winner *** 

 

Born in Derry Township, Milton S. Hershey (1857 - 1945) attended this one-room schoolhouse during the winter of 1863-1864. Built in 1844, this was the first of seven schools he attended before apprenticing to a Lancaster, PA. candy maker at age 14. After business failures in Philadelphia and New York, Hershey realized success with his third venture, the Lancaster Caramel Co. (est. 1886). The Hershey Chocolate Company was established in 1894. Hershey broke ground for a new chocolate factory and model town here in 1903. His home "High Point" sits on the hill above. Prior to its 1961 restoration by Milton Hershey School students, the schoolhouse served as the Hershey Country Club caddy house. (Inscription on the Marker)