News

Hallman/Taylor House

2004 Preservation Award  The Hallman-Taylor House(MAP) 308 Elm Avenue, Hershey Pa. 17033

*** 2004 Preservation Award Winner ***

The home receiving the 2004 Derry Township Historical Society's Annual Preservation Award is located at 308 Elm Avenue. It was built in 1937 by the Hershey Lumber Company for Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Hallman. Mr. Hallman owned a company in Berks County that produced the maroon and silver paper used to wrap Hershey chocolate bars. Milton Hershey required Hallman's move to Hershey as a condition of their doing business. The Hallmans lived in the house for 13 years before selling the home to Mr. and Mrs. William Schiller. Mr. Schiller was Chairman of the Board of Hershey Foods. The Schillers owned the house for 34 years, selling the home to Jim and Kathy Taylor in 1984.

In 1963, a large patio was added, designed by Coleman & Coleman, then working on Founders Hall. Other than renovations to the kitchen and updates, the house looks much as it did in 1937.

A distinctive feature is the original stained glass windows in the sunroom. They were designed by the artisan, Mr. Rudy, who had recently completed the windows in the Circular Dining Room at Hotel Hershey.