Newsletter

The Poof/Belser House

2000 Preservation Award  The Poof-Belser House

(MAP) Poff Fruit Farm on Sandhill Road, Hershey Pa. 17033

*** 2000 Preservation Award Winner ***

The Derry Township Historical Society has designated the Poff Farm as its fourth annual Preservation Award winner, September 2000. In 1868 Leonard and Anna Sweigard built the house, predating the founding of the town of Hershey by about 35 years. They sold the 46-acre property to John andAnna Kuhns in 1876. Several families owned the farm, including a mortise and tenon barn and orchard, until Leroy and Mary Poff purchased the property in 1936. The Poffs sold pears, apples, apple butter, and apple cider on their working farm.

In 1969 the Poffs sold the two story red brick farmhouse and separate garage to Vernon and Anna Mae Belser.The windows are original to the house. Repairs, and renovations to the exterior are consistent with how the house would have looked in the late 1800's. The Belsers bought the barn and additional acreage in 1985.   

The orchard includes three fruit trees dating from the 1930's. Three cisterns remain also. There was a 30 foot hand-dug and stone lined well near the house. Originally the garage    was used for butchering, making apple butter, and drying apples for snitz pies and other baked goods. .A root cellar was under the front portion of the garage for fruit storage. The township has an unexpected treasure in this lovely restored farmhouse and acreage on Sand Hill Road just south of the Governor Road-Fishburn Road intersection in Hershey.