Newsletter

Gavazzi Residence

2012 Preservation Award - Gavazzi Residence(MAP) 330 Para Avenue, Hershey, PA

*** 2012 Preservation Award Winner *** 

 

The Gavazzi home is believed to have been built in 1936 by the Hershey Lumber Company on land which was owned by The Hershey Chocolate Company. Purchased in 1992 by the current owners, Bob and Katie Gavazzi, the home has evolved through four different renovations, mostly of its interior.

 

The most-recent renovation was a significant addition that doubled the size of the house. Working with an architect, the Gavazzis were insistent that the period design of the home be maintained, while independently respecting the integrity of the original footprint. Essentially, the most important feature of an "outstanding addition" creates a design that, if removed, the original home would still be intact and not absorbed by any ensuing renovations. This type of renovation, often referred to as a "sympathetic addition' within the preservation vernacular, pays tribute to the original structure without consuming or masking it.

 

An essential aspect of the Gavazzi's renovation efforts was to integrate original architectural design that conscientiously utilized period-appropriate replacement materials, including replacement of cedar siding, replicating window and trim detail, restoration of the porch railings and wooden-sash replacement windows.