(MAP) 238 East Chocolate Ave., Hershey, Pa. 17033
*** 2014 Preservation Award Winner ***
James Leithiser built the federal style mansion on Chocolate Avenue, designed by C. Emlen Urban, for his family residence. It is the first of the four mansions immediately past the site of the original chocolate factory when traveling east. The house had two floors for the family living space, a third floor for serving staff, and a basement.
Leithiser was married to Lorena Hershey, a cousin of Mr. Hershey, and moved to Hershey in 1910. He was general manager for Mr. Hershey’s interests not related to the chocolate production—the Hershey Store Company, Hershey Park, the Hershey Inn, the Transit Company, and others.
After Leithiser left Hershey in 1920, the home was used briefly to house boys enrolled in Mr. Hershey’s orphan school. The building was then divided into three apartments—each floor a separate unit—and continues as such today. The property belongs to, and is managed by, the Hershey Trust Company.