Hershey Press Building

2007 Preservation Award  The Hershey Press Building(MAP) 27 West Chocolate Avenue, Hershey Pa. 17033

*** 2007 Preservation Award Winner ***

 The winner of the Hershey-Derry Township Historical Society's Preservation Award for 2007 is The Hershey Press Building at 27 West Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA.

Designed by noted Lancaster, PA architect C. Emlen Urban, it remains one of a few structures in the Community originally built for Milton S. Hershey. Urban was chosen by Mr. Hershey to design many of the structures around his town, including High Point Mansion, Hershey Trust Building, Community Building, the Consolidated School Building, and The Hershey Press Building. Completed in 1916, the Press Building employed the use of the "Kahn System" of construction, which used steel bars to reinforce the concrete used in the structure. The John H. Wickersham Engineering and Construction Company of Lancaster, PA handled the construction contract.

The building has seen different uses over its 91-year existence. Originally constructed to house a local commercial printing company, it would soon serve as the home of the Hershey Laundry, 1920-1934, a bakery, and the Hershey Department Store from 1920 until its closure in 1973. Afterwards, Brenner Furniture, Bowman's - a Harrisburg retailer, and Poser's had stores here. After the announcement of Poser's closure in 1994, the building remained mostly vacant except for offices of The Hershey Company.

The early twenty-first century arrived and with it a renewed interest in a revitalization of the downtown. On October 29,2003, Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company announced its plans to restore the old building to its 1920s appearance and to reinstate the building's original name, The Hershey Press Building.

Today, the restored structure serves as the corporate offices of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Company with Jack Gaughen Realty and Houlihan's Restaurant in the retail space on the first floor.